Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Love Wins Again



“If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.” – 1 Corinthians 13:2-3

Over the last year I have sought to reduce all my possessions down to one bag. I have given my life to the service of others. I have spent my time praying and searching for all wisdom in Gods Word and I have tried to practice in my life what it is that Jesus preaches about. Thanks to the power of God, I have been successful in all things.

When I look back at my life, my successes and my failures, my dreams and my realities, my faith and lack thereof; I can not help but marvel at the brilliance and wisdom of God. My God is a loving god, a forgiving God and a providing God. He has blessed me with a strong and close family who is always there for one-another. He has blessed me with friends who support me in all my dreams, seek with me all answers to this sometimes confusing life and most importantly are (and always will be) there for me when I just need company. Lastly, he has provided me with a new family in Christ which has been built in my travels. Those who have offered me rides, places to rest, and food to eat. There are many I keep in touch with and to this day I consider them a part of my life.

In all these things I find love. Whether everyone knows it or not, it is in them that I find the beautiful and loving face of God. Today I am here to announce that I have once more been blessed by God and once more he has secured for me an everlasting promise. I asked Jessie Wambold, my companion and best friend for the last year, to marry me. She answered with a YES!!

I met Jess in AmeriCorps, day one. We were assigned to the same “pod” (temporary groups before we were put in teams). She immediately caught my attention with her stories about traveling the world on her own. Who wouldn’t be impressed by a cute girl, 5 foot tall who, when she was 18 literally traveled around the world on her own. Confidence, happiness and love were beaming from her face and enthusiastic attitude. We remained friends through the first 3-4 months of AmeriCorps. It was in Vermont that we were put on the same team and began reading the bible together that we began to grow closer together. Both of us spent each night reading the New Testament starting with Mathew, in search for God knows what. I being raised Catholic and her Evangelical Free, allowed for good conversations about our understanding of Christ.

The deeper we read into the bible, the closer we became spiritually. With her I felt a bond that I never felt before. With her I felt the Holy Spirit alive, not only in her but in myself. Vermont came and went, and soon we were put back on our first teams. However, the thousands of miles did not break our communication. We continued reading the bible each night and discussing our thoughts about what we were reading on the telephone. We were both attending different Sunday Services but sharing what we learned and experienced. Our relationship seemed to be growing at a constant pace and our understanding of Christ seemed to be growing at a faster pace.
It was towards the end of our third round in AmeriCorps that we decided we wanted to continue our service of those in need, but this time we were going to do it under the authority and dependency of Jesus Christ, not Uncle Sam. One thing about Jess that is most attractive and similar to myself is her ability to dream; her ability to have a vision and work towards that vision with all faith and determination that it will become a reality.

After AmeriCorps we began the next phase of our life (AmeriCorps calls it our “life after AmeriCorps). Entering AmeriCorps we both had different visions of our separate future, after AmeriCorps we were on one accord with our dreams, we were on one accord with our God and we were on one accord with making our dream a reality.

What Paul states in the passage above is important. One can know all things on this earth, have all faith in God and give all their possessions even their life to others, but without love there is nothing. Without getting to know the inner-soul of another human being we miss out on what life is all about. Whether it be a friend, family member or partner in life we are called to love one another. Not just be kind to one another, but to actually love them. We are called to be patient and kind. We are called not to be jealous, a braggart or arrogant. We are to act proper and not degrade ourselves or seek things for ourselves. We should not be provoked by others or count the times we are wronged. We should give no credit to that which is unjust and we are to rejoice and live in all truth. And finally, we are called to believe that anything is possible, be willing to handle anything that comes our way, always remember that Christ has filled us with all hope and use his strength to endure all challenges that may come our way. When we abide in love, we will never fail. (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

I look forward to loving Jess the rest of my life.

Peace and Love,
Jordan Schiele

5 comments:

  1. to answer your question, i think this is a great blog to post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Engagement Picture! The two of you make a great team and will be wonderful partners in marriage.

    Much Love To You Both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU TWO ARE GOING TO DO WHAT??? that is super Jessie Lynnie I think you done good. And I know this lad hit the jack pot!!! I finally firgured out how to post a comment.

    So this little girl travel the eroupe and Back or what? It not safe to travel around the world didn't you listen to Fox news.
    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you guys!!!! this totally rocks!! i cant wait to see yall and watch yall get married!! you two are sooo amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better Post Pics of you guys getting married.

    Love - Ioan

    ReplyDelete